“When you stay on purpose and refuse to be discouraged by fear, you align with the infinite self, in which all possibilities exist.” – Wayne Dyer.
Purpose is powerful and often overlooked. Harnessing the power of purpose is one the keys to playing full out and living an outstanding life. Purpose is greater than most people even realize.
Purpose is also the missing piece in “To Do Lists.”
So how do you create a powerful purpose? Simple. Start with your outcome first. Now, define your purpose. As your define your purpose remember that there are positive & negative (pleasurable & painful) purposes. A best practice is to have a mix of both. More often than not, the most powerful purpose is the fear of something happening: like regret, missed opportunities, or hurting other people.
Steps to building a powerful purpose:
- Get clear on what you will gain by achieving this result.
- Get clear on what will happen if you do not achieve this result.
- Continue to expand the purpose to increase its impact.
- Then expand your purpose outward to include its impact on the people in your life.
- How will achieving (or not achieving) this result impact them?
- Remember, it is bigger than you. (People will often do more for others than they’ll do for themselves).
- Who will miss out if you don’t grow your business? Who will not get a job?
Outcome: I must lose 20 lbs by Dec 31, 2014.
Ask this question: Why must I achieve my outcome?
- I must lose weight, so my clothes will fit better.
- I must lose weight, so I can increase my energy and feel better.
- I must lose weight, so I will have more energy, need less sleep and have more time with my family.
- I must lose weight and master health, so I can run with my boys when they’re in high school.
- I must live a healthy weight & lifestyle to increase my lifespan to see my children get married.
- I must live a healthy weight & lifestyle to increase my lifespan to meet my grandchildren.
- I must become a Master of Nutrition and energy to guarantee that my boys grow up with health, exercise, nutrition and absolute 100% vitality ingrained into their psyche so they never have to deal with obesity, lethargy, addiction, disease, illness & prescription medication.
See the difference? Purpose # 7 is by far the most powerful version. That’s a purpose to make you jump out of bed in the morning.